The draw for the second round of the UEFA Women’s Champions League has been made with matches between Real Madrid and Manchester City and Wolfsburg against Bordeaux.
In the revamped competition format, Round 2 matches on August 31 / September 1 and 8/9 will decide the 12 teams that join defending defending Barcelona and the other direct entrants Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern München and Chelsea in the match. new group stage which will take place from October.
Round 2 is divided into two lanes: the Champions lane and the League lane. Both will consist of two-legged ties. The 15 teams from the first round, including Arsenal, 2006/07 winners, joined nine teams from this stadium, including Lyon, seven times world champion, and Wolfsburg, two-time defending champion.
2nd round draw
Sparta Prague (CZE) vs Køge (DEN)
Osijek (CRO) v Breidablik (ISL)
Vllaznia (ALB) v Juventus (ITA)
Twente (NED) vs SL Benfica (POR)
Apollon LFC (CYP) vs. WFC Kharkiv (UKR)
Servette FC Chênois (SUI) vs Glasgow City (SCO)
Vålerenga (NOR) v Häcken (SWE)
Levante (ESP) vs Lyon (FRA)
Arsenal (ANG) vs Slavia Praha (CZE)
Real Madrid (ESP) v Manchester City (ENG)
Wolfsburg (GER) vs Bordeaux (FRA)
Rosengård (SWE) vs Hoffenheim (GER)
- Lyon’s five-year reign as champion ended last season; they have a record of seven titles in total.
- Wolfsburg have won this competition twice and Arsenal won the title in 2006/07.
- Køge and Real Madrid will make their European debuts in this round while Bordeaux and Hoffenheim finished Round 1 for their first UEFA competition entries.
- Häcken had previously entered under the name Göteborg.
- Juventus have added motivation to reach this season’s final, with May’s centerpiece taking place in their men’s stadium.
- Manchester City and Rosengård (like Malmö) have already reached the semi-finals, while Breidablik, Glasgow City, Häcken (like Gothenburg), Sparta and Slavia have all made the last eight in the past.
- Never reached the last 16 on any previous registration in the old formats: Apollo, Benfica, Juventus, Kharkiv, Servette, Vålerenga, Vllaznia.
- Arsenal eliminated Slavia in the 2019/20 round of 16.
- Apollo defeated Kharkiv 3-0 in the 2012/13 qualifying round in Limassol.
First leg: August 31 / September 1
Second leg: September 8/9
Group stage draw
Day 1: October 5/6
Day 2: October 13/14
Day 3: 9/10 November
Day 4: November 17/18
Day 5: December 8/9
Day 6: December 15/16
Quarter-finals and semi-finals draw
First leg: March 22/23
Return match: March 30/31
1st leg: 23/24 April
Return match: April 30 / May 1
Final (Juventus Stadium, Turin)
Date to be confirmed
- The teams in each lane were classified in two pots, according to the club coefficient ranking.
- Clubs from the same association could not be drawn against each other.
- The club drawn first in each game plays the first leg at home.
The 11 winners of the final of round 1 join the three teams registered at this stage: the champions of the European associations classified fifth, sixth and seventh. Seven teams will emerge from as many ties to advance to the group stage.
The 14 teams were divided into two pots: seeded and non-seeded. The seven teams with the highest coefficients have been ranked.
One ball was taken from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl, where they were mixed. The first team drawn will play its first home match against the second team drawn.
The same procedure was done with the remaining balls to complete all the pairings in round 2.
Sparta Praha * (CZE) coefficient 35.300
City of Glasgow (SCO) 33,600
Twente (NED) 20,000
Breidablik (ISL) 17,000
Häcken * (SWE) 16,100
Juventus (ITA) 15.200
Apollon LFC (CYP) 14.200
Vllaznia (ALB) 10.800
Vålerenga (NOR) 9.800
WFC Kharkiv (UKR) 9.100
Servette FC Chênois (SUI) 7.600
Køge * (DEN) 6.900
Osijek (CRO) 6.400
SL Benfica (POR) 5.600
* Direct entry on round 2
The four winners of the final of round 1 join the six teams registered at this stage: the vice-champions of the European associations ranked from first to sixth. Five teams will emerge from as many ties to advance to the group stage.
The ten teams were divided into two pots: seeded and non-seeded. The five teams with the highest coefficients have been ranked. The draw followed the same procedure as for the champions path.
Lyon * (FRA) 124,400
Wolfsburg * (GERMANY) 97.100
Manchester City * (ENG) 79,700
Slavia Praha * (CZE) 52.300
Rosengård * (SWE) 49,100
Arsenal (ANG) 27,700
Bordeaux (FRA) 18.400
Hoffenheim (GERMANY) 15,100
Real Madrid * (ESP) 12,800
Levante (ESP) 12,800
* Direct entry on round 2